Sunday, April 4, 2010

April Updates

It has been an eventful few weeks. Although I don't have pictures of everything, I do have some updated pictures to share.

New Smile?
For some reason, Rai has a new smile. From the moment we came home, Rai smiled any time I had the camera in my hand. (You'll notice Rai often poses a smile at the beginning of most videos.) In the past few months, his smile has changed, and now he often squishes his nose. Here are a few examples with some amusing poses:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Enjoying Spring in Texas
There is common saying in Texas: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." We had had such gloomy, rainy weather this Spring that it was refreshing to have a week or so of warm, sunny weather. Although my mom, Rai, and I take walks each week, we've had to resort to indoor alternatives, like the shopping mall, up until now. This week, we decided to walk at the nearby park, and it certainly set a calmer, more peaceful mood! Rai likes to look for dogs by calling "Doggy, where are you?" My mom spotting every bird, and I was just glad to see the sun out! Oh and it helps that the park has a playground!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
April
April
April
April
April
April
April
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The Beginnings of Toddler Speak
Rai talks a LOT now. Forget two or three word phrases. Rai speaks in short sentences! It's not always easy to understand him, but it's great to heard him imitate entire phrases. He's also learning to respond (or more often imitate) different phrases in other languages. When Aaron leaves, Aaron says "Good-bye" in Korean and Rai knows how to respond (usually). When I leave, I say "Good-bye" in Japanese and Rai responds in Japanese (just repeats). Yes, the response is different in Korea for the person leaving and the person staying, but it is the same for both parties in Japanese.

By the way, Aaron just completed the third level of Korean in Rosetta Stone. Yes, I think that's the equivalent of 3 years in just 4 months. What can I say? He's focused. My Japanese, on the other hand, is still at the first year level. I'm certainly working on it and have more drive now, but Aaron certainly knows more Korean than I know Japanese. Now, we're hoping Rai will pick up more of both.

Tricycle!
Before Rai came home, we picked up a small tricycle for Rai assuming that he would be active enough to ride is shortly after he arrived home. We weren't anticipating, however, that he wouldn't be big enough to ride it. For months, his legs wouldn't even reach the pedals or they would fall off immediately upon turning the handle bars. Today, for the first time, Rai was able to touch the pedals! We cheered him on and tried to show him how to pedal. After about 10 minutes or so, Rai got the hang of this pedaling business and managed to go down the sideway for a few feet without me pushing him. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera nor could I step away long enough without him getting frustrated. Next time we'll have pictures to post.

Long-lasting Friendships
On Wednesday, Rai and I had lunch with Matt, one of my best friends from high school. It brought back so many fun memories of the "nerdy" days of roller hockey, soccer, chess, and GHAC (long story). It's sad that I live so close to several old friends, and yet I rarely meet up with anyone. Rai provided most of the entertainment and seemed to enjoy his helping of Texas BBQ.
PhotobucketPhotobucket


Speaking of food, I was treated to the best lunch I've ever had today. I had never heard of Houlihan's until today, but I will most certainly return soon! Thanks Janet (or should I say "Dr. Johnson")! You're a wonderful friend!

April
And yes, Janet is my blonde twin. We ordered nearly identical drinks. As usual, we couldn't decide from several great selections, so we decided to split two separate entrees. I think we were separated at birth - just a few years apart. :-)

No comments: