Friday, February 5, 2010

Sick Sick Sick

A few hours after we arrived home from the stock show, Rai started acting sluggish and we knew instantly that he was getting sick. By that night, he had a fever. The next day (Monday), we went to the doctor and learned that he had an inner ear infection and the flu. (Yes, he had a flu shot, but the CDC states that the flu shot was only approx. 65% effective this year.) By Monday night, Aaron noticed that he wasn't feeling well. We actually think they both had a stomach bug in addition to the flu. On Wednesday, I started feeling dizzy and found out Thursday that I have an inner ear infection. So we're all recovering. :-)

Here is a picture of us laying low this evening:
Photobucket

Since we watched Chicken Run with Rai and witnessed the uncomfortable slaughter moment, I have been curious as to the extent Rai understands that meat comes from animals. It didn't take long to realize that Rai might understand more than I give him credit for. (For those that hadn't heard the story of Rai saving the lego people from the alligator, let me briefly summarize. Rai and Aaron play fighting dinosaurs all the time, so went Rai and I played with the lego animals, I pretended that the alligator and lego person were fighting and the alligator dragged the lego person into his swamp. Not my best mommy moment, but I thought Rai would find the sound effects funny. Not so much. Instead, Rai ran around saving the lego people by hiding them under his shirt and telling the alligator to go "Nite! Nite!") So fast forward to this week when Rai and I played animal legos. I asked him what each animal eats and tried to teach him the difference between herbivores and carnivores. "What does the giraffe eat?" Rai gave him a carrot lego. "What does the lion eat?" Rai gave him the meat lego. "What does the alligator eat?" Rai started to take the meat lego away, paused, and then grabbed the girl zookeeper lego. We tried to replicate it tonight, but instead he sacrificed both lions.

No comments: