Thursday, March 19, 2009

Updates (not traveling yet)

Adoption-Related Projects
The new blog design is a reflection of my week thus far - all play and not much work. It is Spring Break, so I've tried not to swamp myself with work. Unfortunately, there are so many things to do, and we're running low on time. At the same time, I have found it easy to become distracted with anything adoption-related. Let's face it - adoption is on the brain! So instead of spending the entire week reading the Holt bulletin board, I've worked on several small adoption-related projects:
- Finish shopping for Rai's room (curtain goes up tonight)
- Give the adoption blog a face lift and prepare for posting large amounts of pictures and videos
- Work on the Lifebook (similar to scrapbook)
- Mentally prepare Rai's adoption story (including his birth parents, foster parents, our reasons for adopting, etc.)

I recently read a great blog posting (recommended on the Holt Bulletin Board) entitled "Twenty-Three Things This Korean Adoptee Thought as a Child" and found it helpful in working on Rai's Lifebook and Adoption Story. Here is the link: http://heartmindandseoul.typepad.com/weblog/2009/01/twentythree-things-this-koreanadoptee-thought-about-as-a-child.html
I think everyone involved in adoption (parents, family, friends) should read this. Several points bring to light the phrases people often say that can be hurtful, such as "You're so lucky to be adopted." Many people have said "You are such wonderful people to be adopting," and I often want to ask "Why?" We did not choose adoption as a "last resort" but felt in our hearts that this was the way we wanted to build our family. This isn't a lecture by any means, but I think it is important to know the perspective of an adoptee. As I begin to write several entries in the journaling sections of Rai's Lifebook, I am careful not to leave out any details and to be honest both with Rai and with myself.

Updates on the Korean Front
At this time, we are still waiting for the agency in Korea to return the immigration paperwork needed to schedule the Visa Appointment. In the back of my mind, I do realize that with a child who was hospitalized for one week due to pneumonia, it is possible Rai was not able to have a visa physical (needed for the visa appointment) last month. Unfortunately, these physicals only take place once a month, so we may be held up. Still, I won't give up hope that everything is ready and a visa appointment could take place next week. Sure, it would be nice to travel during Spring Break, but it is what it is.

This weekend, I will spend some quiet time at home getting our bags packed, the house cleaned, and my syllabus juggled (with Plan A, B, C... depending on the date we leave).

2 comments:

Waiting4OurAngel said...

Glad I am not the only one having trouble thinking of anything other than my little one. Hoping both our calls come next week.

T said...

ya'll are going to be the most amazing parents.