Thursday, March 5, 2009

EP! EP! EP!

Record Time for EP Approval!
Rai's Emigration Permit (EP) was submitted on February 11th and was approved only 6 days later on February 17th. I am still in shock since we were originally told 3-4 weeks for approvals (but hoped for 2 weeks). This is WONDERFUL NEWS!

A Little Backed Up on the US-Side of Things
The US-side of the adoption process has put us through an emotional roller-coaster. As you recall, the Dallas Adoption Immigration Office (USCIS) went at a snail's pace and their change of offices didn't help either. Rai's I600 application was approved on February 17th (same day as EP) BUT that approval sat on someone's desk until Monday morning. UGH! Normally, USCIS would mail (or better yet email) the approval to the National Visa Center (NVC) to be logged in and logged back out, nearly finishing the US-side of things. When NVC hadn't logged in Rai's I600 approval last Friday, the operator asked that I verify when USCIS sent the approval. First thing Monday, USCIS emails a reply stating that they only send out approvals every few days, but it was sent March 2nd (the day they received my email, of course). Luckily, another adoptive mom learned that NVC will allow adoptive parents to email their I600 approvals for faster processing. I emailed ours on Wednesday and will keep our fingers crossed until they respond with updates.

To make a long story short...
As soon as NVC logs in and logs out Rai's I600 approval, we can begin calling the last office (DC) to receive updates on the final steps: Packet 3 (sent to Korean agency), Visa Interview, Visa Issued, Travel Call! (Actually, Holt makes the Travel Call but you get the drift...)

Updates on Rai
Poor little Rai was in the hospital with pneumonia for one week in February, which is really rough for a guy who still only weighs 20.9 pounds. We're hoping he feels better now and are sending our long distance hugs and kisses!

Back Home
For a while after the baby shower, Rai's room looked like Toys R Us blew up, but it is finally starting to come together. My friend, Heather, and I went on one last shopping spree and wiped off most of the registry, so this weekend is the weekend to finish up the room and baby-proof the house! I have to admit that it is a strange feeling to see diaper caddies and itty-bitty socks around the house. Speaking of baby socks, I've never had so much fun folding laundry! We have no idea what size shoe or socks Rai wears, but the 6-12 mo socks are SO little! Considering Rai weighs less than 21 pounds, they may just fit, but I bought one size larger just in case.

As for the two of us, the flu bug finally hit our house, so we've nearly lost a week. I was sick with the flu and bronchitis from Saturday through Wednesday, and although I feel better, my voice hasn't returned. (Not that Aaron is complaining...) Aaron just knew he wouldn't get sick even though our family doctor prescribed him flu medication to be on the safe side. Luckily, I talked him into taking it earlier this week because he came home sick from work today. Poor guy. At least we'll be over this before we travel. Poor Rai can't get sick again so soon. :-(

I think that sums up everything so far. I'll post pictures next week when Rai's room is finished and we're all feeling a little better!

No comments: